The Yobe recruitment committee for the 82 regular intake of the Nigerian Army, said the screening exercise is strictly in accordance with laid-down rules and regulations.
Retired Brig.-Gen. Dahiru Abdussalam, the Chairman of the committee, disclosed this on Monday at the 241 Recce Battalion, Nguru, Yobe.
Abdussalam, who is also the Special Assistant to Gov. Mai Mala Buni on Security Affairs, said the screening and recruitment exercise is transparent and strict.
“Anybody that is not shortlisted will not take part, the result will be announced here in front of the representatives of each local government area.
“The recruitment exercise committee will ensure that no none indigene of the state is taken,” he said.
He noted that out of the 1,500 shortlisted candidates nationwide, 140 slots were reserved for Yobe.
He added that there was no political interference in the exercise.
“No politician has any influence on this recruitment exercise. Because this is not the final stage. If we take anybody that is not competent, Yobe state will lose at the final screening exercise. The incompetent ones will be replaced with other available candidates,” Abdussalam explained.
He enjoined parents to encourage their female children to join the Nigerian Army, saying only female candidates have survived the present stage of the screening.
Maj. O.S. Musa, the recruitment officer, said the screening exercise which commenced on Jan. 2 began with documentation.
“At this phase, we screened 749 applicants, while others were absent. So far only 65 failed. After that, we subject them to physical screening. This is to avoid recruiting anybody who cannot withstand the training,” Musa said.