Yobe State Police Command has denied report of abduction of 20 policemen in the state.
ASP Dungus Abdulkarim, the Public Relations Officer of the Command made this known in a statement on Friday in Damaturu.
He said the attention of the command had been drawn to a trending news on social and some sections of mainstream media to that 20 police personnel were kidnapped by insurgents during an attack on Buni-Yadi, Gujba Local government area.
“In view of the sensitive nature of the issue, and the prevalent security situation in the state, it is deemed imperative that such negative impression must be erased from the minds of the public by setting the records straight.
“It is equally important that the actual facts and circumstances surrounding the incident must be brought to light, for the sake of the families of police personnel serving in Yobe state.
“In this regard therefore, the Command wishes to reiterate as follows:
“The story or news item (on the alleged kidnaping of 20 police personnel in Buni-Yadi and their rescue by troops is misleading, fabricated and fake news, as no single police personnel was kidnapped from Buni-Yadi town on the day of the alleged incident.”, the statement said.
The statement further explained that on Tuesday, Nov.30 suspected members of Boko-Haram/ISWAP insurgents attacked the Buni-Yadi Police Station in Gujba local government area.
“But there was neither any loss of life nor was any Police personnel kidnapped, or declared missing.
“All the conventional personnel of the Division, as well as the PMF personnel, had been accounted after the incident.”
The statement therefore enjoined the general public disregard and ignore the news of the said kidnap consider it as false, mischievous and fake.